Friday, August 05, 2005

News-Banner
Bluffton, Ind.

Aug. 5, 2005

By Sarah Pulliam
Heather Roush leaned back in frustration after her golf ball barely missed the hole.
“This game’s stupid,” Roush said before she saw Norwell’s coach Jody Ault and added, “I’m just kidding. It’s not that bad.”
The Southern Wells High School senior competed in Thursday-morning’s match with her varsity team against Norwell High School.
Sprinkling rain threatened the match, but the overcast sky and 80-degree weather didn’t wash out the match at Timber Ridge Golf Course.
Norwell’s varsity team scored 178 to Southern Well’s 218 and the Norwell junior varsity team topped Southern Wells 223 to 275.
Roush, an outgoing blonde 17-year-old, shot the round with Norwell freshman Kaylee Imel.
When asked how she played, Roush looked to the sky and said, “I played, uh, not that great” and then pointed the attention to Imel.
Imel shot 38 for her first high school match, an impressive start to her high school career.
“I had one bad hole but I was pretty satisfied with how I did,” Imel said.
“She almost had a hole in one,” Roush quickly added. “I was like whoa, and then she almost had an eagle. It was ridiculous.”
Ault, Imel’s coach, and Southern Wells coach Dave Wall said Imel played really well for her first high school match.
Not everyone was as satisfied as Imel.
Norwell senior Natalie Layton was frustrated with her round on the junior varsity team.
“I played horribly because I didn’t practice all summer,” Layton said. “I hit in the sand so that was no fun, but hey, I like the beach.”
Other junior varsity players were more optimistic.
Southern Wells freshman Stella Grimm played well in the tournament and is excited for her first season.
Norwell senior Kerianne Dahn ended the round by sinking a 30-foot putt.
“I’ve done the best I’ve done this summer,” she said. “I did well except for the water and the trees. That defeats the purpose of golfing.”
The golfers sported matching light blue sleeveless polo shirts with Norwell or Southern Wells labels and khaki shorts.
Ault was pleased with the way her team played.
“I was just really happy with the way they played since it was the first match of the year,” she said.
Ault’s goals for the season are to go to state and win.
Southern Wells coach Wall said his team has a long way to go, but it’s still early in the season.
“We’re just getting our feet wet,” he said. “I think they’re better than they played today but I don’t think we would’ve beaten Norwell anyway.”
Thursday’s match was Southern Well’s second for the new season and Wall sees potential for this year’s team.
“I’ve got all my starters back from last year,” he said. “To have a strong freshman class like I’ve got is pretty exciting.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

http://spulliam.blogspot.com/rpc_relay.html http://spulliam.blogspot.com/canvas.html